Going through a breakup is one of the toughest things a person can ever endure in his or her life. It shatters you into many pieces and you feel you can never be whole again. Breaking up is a very difficult thing to get through and you just wonder how it is to be happy once more. You try and imagine the days when you were just happy but then again you start crying again. I have written this article to help those going through the big “B” and want to bounce back.
- Let it out. – When you first realize that everything is over all you can do is feel the pain and the hurt. You just want to cry or sleep all day. It’s ok. Let it out. You need to do some catharsys and let the pain out of your system. You need to release the pent up emotions. Drink some if you have to. At this point all you can think about is how painful it feels. That is normal. But do not destroy yourself in the process. You can cry, you can drink but don’t destroy yourself.
- Rant to your friends. – I know you may sound like a broken record for repeating the same things over and over again to your friends but trust me, you need friends who would listen to you. Friends can offer you sound advice and console you in times of great emotional stress. They can cheer you up by giving you advice or even just hanging out with you.
- Distract yourself. – Recovering from a heartache is much easier if you don’t remind yourself of how it once was between the two of you. Try doing things you have not done before when you were a couple because you did not have time or energy to do it. Why not go travelling solo? It is less expensive and you can now do whatever you like since you are alone. Take some art classes or learn a new language. Once you’ve cried your eyes out, it’s time to put your life together by learning to live life by yourself.
- Improve yourself. – Well aside from distracting yourself, you must also make yourself better. You must allow yourself to grow and be a step higher from what you once were. You have to be the man or the woman your ex would regret leaving. But improve yourself not for him or her but for your own happiness. You need to be a better person so that if ever you decide to stay single you can be happy in your own skin or if you decide to be with someone, this person will be glad to have you.
- Try to avoid the memories. – You may have had the best memories, but in order for your heart to move on you need to learn to let go. You need to stop thinking about him or her whenever you see something related to your time together. Stop cyber stalking him on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. It does not help. If you could unfollow him or her for a while it would be best. Because unless you learn to live apart from him or her, you will never ever learn to grow by yourself.
- Eat, pray, love. – Yes I got this from the movie that starred Julia Roberts. It is now time for you to discover a whole new you. You must eat to enjoy life and taste every single morsel of food with utmost anticipation. You must learn to pray and meditate and centre yourself. Learn to clear your mind and be void of any feelings. Once you have mastered this, you are on your way to recovery. And finally fall in love again. It does not have to be another person, you can fall in love with yourself. Love the life you are given. Let love surround you and who knows you might not just change your life but also change yourself.
- Take risks. – When you were part of a couple you probably did not want to take risks because you always considered the welfare of your partner. Well now it is high time for you to take those risks. You may want to move to a new city or travel. You may want to take a job overseas. Try dating a different sort of person. Don’t let yourself be tied down to old stuff you once knew. Learn to say yes to life.
- Exercise. – Many people who broke up swear that exercise has really helped them recover. Scientifically exercise releases endorphins which are happy hormones that fight pain. When you exercise you can release your stress and aggression. Bonus thing is looking look but more over you will be healthy. Being healthy and fit helps your mind stay sharp and allows you to think more clearly.
- Reflect. – Now that you have cried, exercised and done so many things to move on, it is time for you to reflect for the reasons why you guys broke up. Learn to accept that some people are not meant to stay in our lives. You must also accept if it was your doing or if it was your partner’s. Avoid being bitter. Be thankful that you did not spend the rest of your life miserable with each other. Reflect on the things that you have done that lead to the break up. Even if it was caused by a third party on his or her side, you might have had something to contribute to it. Find peace in your heart.
- Move forward. – Many people always say to “move on” but I say “MOVE FORWARD”. To move forward means that you will no longer be the same person. That you will now grow from the experience you’ve had with this person. Moving forward means that once you start dating again, you will no longer repeat the same mistakes and not dwell on the things that happened in the past. You must learn to live happily now with or without someone in your life.
Breaking up can be very painful. It causes your heart to bleed out and suffer. You feel like the world has ended and shifted and you are left behind. But recovering from a breakup can happen if you learn to move forward and live life even if you are single.